Helmut Berends is founder and since 2002 owner and Managing Director of Helmut Berends. He is working as independent adviser in the field of initiation, development and management of EU funded projects (INTERREG, Seventh Framework Programme (FP7)). Earlier he had a varied professional career at public administrations and associations as well as at a German transportation consulting firm.
In the domain of the project, Helmut Berends offers a wide spectrum of competences and professional expertise with regard to ITS, urban planning and public transport subject areas.
Previous experiences relevant to the project topics and tasks are :
- Analysis of urban planning measures and developing advanced mobility strategies and solutions by a simulation tool for modelling multimodal traffic flows;
- Partner in the FP7 project EBSF (European Bus System of the Future) and co-manager of the ‘Use Case Bremerhaven’(innovative passenger information system);
- Member of the Advisory Group of the FP7 project 3iBS (The Intelligent, Innovative, Integrated Bus Systems);
Role In The Project
Helmut Berends will work on the field of Multimodal Mobility Management (WP3) and Multimodal Real-time Urban Navigator (WP4). Furthermore, he is involved in the evaluation of the experimentations among the different cities and regarding the different developed services and tools (WP7). Last but not least he is also involved in the communication and dissemination activities.
Helmut Berends contributes to :
- the deployment of guidelines for multimodal mobility management (WP3/D322);
- the assessment methodology for transport policies in urban areas (WP3/D323);
- the definition of functional specifications for the navigator, ergonomic principles (WP4);
- the development of basic functions for the urban navigator apps (WP4);
- the methodology for the evaluation of the technological tools (WP7);
- the definition of the Key Performance Indicators (WP7);
- the guidelines a coherent business model (WP7), and
- the tailored transport policies with regard to effective traffic management strategies and behavioural changes in passengers and freight transport (WP7)